Week 1 – Discussion 2
Leaders cannot practice leadership without followers. Almost all leaders act as followers at some point
within an organizational system. Followers exert a great deal of power on a leader’s success or failure in
achieving organizational goals. In your discussion response for this week, please address each of the
three following aspects equally:
Discuss ways in which followers assist leaders in achieving organizational goals.
1. Include in your discussion the resulting consequences when followers undermine a leader’s
attempt to achieve these goals.
2. Identify what leaders need to do to assure that followers will work with the leader.
3. You have been promoted into the role of a Charge Nurse on your unit, following a
reorganization with a new Director of Nursing. In this process, staff nurses on your unit did
not have input and several of those nurses who you are now in charge of, are unhappy with
the change. In your role, as their nurse leader, explore aspects that may lead to conflict and
identify ways you can manage the identified conflict. Which of the following leadership
styles could you utilize to manage the identified conflict?
Week 2 – Discussion 1
In healthcare, there are healthcare institutions that are considered for-profit and not-for-profit. In your
discussion response this week, please address each of the following four aspects equally:
1. Discuss the difference between a for-profit and not-for-profit healthcare institution for each of the following areas:
a. What is the role of the nurse leader in assuring that costs remain low without
jeopardizing patient care?
b. Does the role of the nurse leader differ in for-profit health care institutions versus not-
for-profit healthcare institutions?
c. What are the implications of the Affordable Care Act on nursing care and
reimbursement for services?
Week 3 – Discussion 1
The Joint Commission issues a Sentinel Event Alert based on the report of adverse patient events. In
Sentinel Event Alert #57, which was released in March 1, 2017, the Joint Commission identified that
leadership plays an important role in developing a safety culture. For this unit’s discussion, please:
Review Sentinel Event policy and procedures in your facility or published by the Joint Commission. In
your discussion response for this week, please address each of the following two aspects equally:
1. As a nurse leader, what strategies would you recommend which foster a culture that promotes
a healthy and safe environment as it relates to an issue identified in your SWOT analysis?
2. How does the organizational structure impact your recommendations?
Week 4 – Discussion 1
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) supports research that improves the quality of
healthcare. It focuses on three specific areas. In your discussion response for this week, please address
the following two aspects equally:
1. Discuss these areas and explain the Affordable Care Act and AHRQ work together to assure safe
a. Include in your discussion the role of the nurse leader in promoting safe, effective
evidence-based patient care.
Week 5 – Discussion 1
Much discussion regarding patient safety and nurse-patient ratios has occurred over the last few years.
In your discussion response for this week, please address the following three aspects equally:
1. What is the relationship among patient acuity levels, nurse-patient ratios and patient safety?
2. What role do MAGNET hospitals play in promoting patient safety and nurse-patient ratios?
3. Discuss if using a patient acuity system rather than a set nurse-patient ratio would be more
effective in providing safe care. Support your answer.
Week 6 – Discussion 1
The Institute of Medicine promotes interprofessional teamwork and collaboration as one of its six
competencies. In your discussion response for this week, please address the following four aspects
1. Explain the composition of the interprofessional team.
a. In your discussion describe the difference between cooperation and collaboration.
b. How does collaboration promote patient safety?
c. What is the role of the nurse leader in ensuring interprofessional teamwork and
collaboration and conflict resolution?
Week 7 – Discussion 1
Technology plays an important role in healthcare. Informatics and telemedicine are just two
ways that technology is changing the healthcare delivery system. The nursing community has
made incredible progress towards creating and expanding the use of informatics unique to the
discipline. In your discussion response this week, please address the following two aspects
1. Discuss nursing informatics as a unique specialty for nursing practice regarding
providing safe, effective, and quality patient care.
2. What is the role of the nurse leader in implementing and integrating informatics into
Week 8 – Discussion 1 – Course Wrap-up
In this course wrap-up discussion, please reflect on your experience in the course and address the
1. Identify one of your major takeaways from this course.
2. What aspects of the course helped you achieve this?
3. Choose one of the course learning outcomes. Please explain how you could apply this learning
outcomes to your practice and/or have achieved this outcome as a result of participating in this
class. How will you apply this knowledge to your practice and career?
Week 1 – Discussion 2 Leaders cannot practice leadership without followers. Alm
Week 1 – Discussion 2